Martin Luther King Day began in January 1996 as a National Holiday.
We have been celebrating Martin Luther King Day for 34 years. Today January 21st we celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who did great things for our country and its people. Here are some facts about him:
1. Dr. Martin Luther King attended college at the age of just 15 years old, skipping grades 9 & 12 At Moorehouse College, Dr. King Jr. then joined the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and graduated in 1948 with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology.
2. Dr. Martin Luther King is the only non-president to get a holiday named after him and celebrated every year. He is also the youngest male to win a Nobel Peace Prize in 1964, for opposing racial segregation. He threw a peaceful protest & then donated all his prize money to the Civil Rights Movement.
3. Dr. Martin Luther King’s father was a Baptist minister & his mother was a school teacher.
4. Dr. Martin Luther King’s favorite song was “Take My Hand,” Precious Lord, the song was sung at his funeral by his friend Mahalia Jackson
5. Dr. Martin Luther King’s last speech ended with his passing. King had come to Memphis in April 1968 to support the strike of the city’s black garbage workers, and in a speech on the night before, he told the audience he would like to live a long life and he’s seen the promised land.
6. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was born on 15 January 1929.